Wouldn’t you love to be a fly on the wall when the Indian delegation arrives at the Admiralty Shipyard?
The Russians have already insisted that the explosion could not possibly be their fault, because we all know how reliable Russian technology is… right? So telling the Indians to their face that clearly they’re to blame should be interesting.
India wants Russia to help raise sunken submarine
Indian and Russian officials are discussing options for raising Russian-built Indian diesel-electric submarine Sindhurakshak, which caught fire after a series of explosions on board and sank off Mumbai on August 14, killing all its crew of 18, said a source close to Russia’s shipbuilding industry.
There remain unexploded torpedoes on board, which is an obstacle to raising Sindhurakshak, the source said.
Indian Navy officials have asked for technological and physical help in bringing up the submarine from the seafloor but neither the Russian government nor any Russian firm has received any official request for this from India.
United Shipbuilding Corporation declined to comment, while a spokesman for Admiralty Shipyard, which built Sindhurakshak, said that an Indian delegation was due to visit the shipyard on Friday but did not disclose what would be discussed during the visit.
One explanation of the Mumbai accident that has been offered is that the first explosion was caused by high concentration of hydrogen in an accumulator in the head compartment, which is next to the torpedo unit.
India received Project 877EKM Sindhurakshak in 1997.
A fire on board the vessel in 2010 that was caused by a hydrogen explosion killed one of the sailors.
The submarine was repaired and modernized at Russia’s Zvyozdochka shipyard in 2010-2012.
Russian experts still denied access to sunken Indian sub
A group of Russian experts from the Zvyozdochka ship repair center have not been allowed to visit the site of India’s sunken Sindhurakshak submarine in Mumbai, Zvyozdochka’s official spokeswoman Nadezhda Shcherbinina confirmed to the Voice of Russia.
“They may not be allowed to visit in principle,” she said.
“This is a prerogative of the country that owns the ship. We have contacted our warrantee group in Mumbai. They remain at their hotel. They have not been invited, so to say. They may be or may not be invited to participate.”
Earlier, Russian media reported, citing an unnamed source, that the Russian experts had been granted access to the sunken submarine.
Voice of Russia, Interfax