First entry of the Royal Australian Navy’s Fleet into Sydney in 1913. Courtesy of Sea Power Centre – Australia.
Tag Archives: centenary
Empire’s Shield – Royal Navy silent film collection from 1914-1918
EMPIRE’S SHIELD Royal Navy Main Title (IWM 551).
- (Reel 1) The training of a naval cadet – Pangbourne, HMS Worcester, HMS Medway.
- (Reel 2) Scenes from the building of a merchant vessel. Shots of a Standard Tanker being launched on the Clyde, female dockyard labour, dazzle painted merchant ships, etc.
- (Reel 3) Various types of cargo unloaded at the East India Docks. Grimsby trawlers unloading and preparing for the next voyage. Medium shot groups of merchant officers and crews.
- (Reel 4) Episode portraying the bombardment of Zeebrugge, 11 May, 1917 – a compilation using stockshots and some actuality material.
- (Reel 5) Preparation and execution of a sweep by drifters. Close-ups of HM.TMS Atalanta II.
- (Reel 6) Dramatic reconstruction of the clearance of a recently laid minefield – swept mines are destroyed by rifle and MG fire. Close-ups of the crew of Atalanta II.
- (Reel 7) The Royal Naval Air Service. Probationary flight officers under training at Cranwell. Squadron ‘scrambles’ at Manston. Aerial views of south coast. Balloons on anti-submarine patrol.
- (Reel 8) Construction and wheeling out of a Short 184. Seaplane bombed up. HMS Furious. Felixstowe flying boats. King George V visits the fleet – he meets the crews of various ships.
- (Reel 9) HMS Vindictive and material relating to the Zeebrugge raid.
- (Reel 10) Scenes onboard HMS Canada.
- (Reel 11) First Battle Squadron sorties for live firing practice.