French destroyer Bourrasque sunk off Nieuwpoort, Belgium on 30 May 1940 during Operation Dynamo. She had sailed from Dunkirk at 1530 with over 600 troops embarked. She struck a mine 5-miles north of Nieuwpoort and began to sink. Survivors were taken off by the French torpedo boat Branlebas, Admiralty drifter Yorkshire Lass, and the armed trawler HMT Ut Prosim.
Tag Archives: minefield
Empire’s Shield – Royal Navy silent film collection from 1914-1918
EMPIRE’S SHIELD Royal Navy Main Title (IWM 551).
- (Reel 1) The training of a naval cadet – Pangbourne, HMS Worcester, HMS Medway.
- (Reel 2) Scenes from the building of a merchant vessel. Shots of a Standard Tanker being launched on the Clyde, female dockyard labour, dazzle painted merchant ships, etc.
- (Reel 3) Various types of cargo unloaded at the East India Docks. Grimsby trawlers unloading and preparing for the next voyage. Medium shot groups of merchant officers and crews.
- (Reel 4) Episode portraying the bombardment of Zeebrugge, 11 May, 1917 – a compilation using stockshots and some actuality material.
- (Reel 5) Preparation and execution of a sweep by drifters. Close-ups of HM.TMS Atalanta II.
- (Reel 6) Dramatic reconstruction of the clearance of a recently laid minefield – swept mines are destroyed by rifle and MG fire. Close-ups of the crew of Atalanta II.
- (Reel 7) The Royal Naval Air Service. Probationary flight officers under training at Cranwell. Squadron ‘scrambles’ at Manston. Aerial views of south coast. Balloons on anti-submarine patrol.
- (Reel 8) Construction and wheeling out of a Short 184. Seaplane bombed up. HMS Furious. Felixstowe flying boats. King George V visits the fleet – he meets the crews of various ships.
- (Reel 9) HMS Vindictive and material relating to the Zeebrugge raid.
- (Reel 10) Scenes onboard HMS Canada.
- (Reel 11) First Battle Squadron sorties for live firing practice.